Human Resources Forms and Guidelines for Students
As a student employee, you are responsible for following and abiding by the policies, procedures, and guidelines set forth in the Student Employment Handbook.
Students participating in the Student Employment Program are responsible for the following highlighted policies and procedures.
- Carefully read the Student Employment Handbook
- Completing the forms I-9 and W-4 and return to Human Resources (HR) before beginning work. Proper documentation must be presented to HR to verify identity and authorization to work in the U.S. as required by the Immigration and Reform Act. Original documents must be provided; copies or faxes will not be accepted. See back of I-9 for accepted forms of documentation. Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website to review the entire Form I-9, including all instruction pages.
- Personally submitting your completed Student Employment Action Request (SEAR) form to Human Resources. All hiring paperwork must be submitted at once to the HR Office prior to beginning work. Students will not have access to timesheets and will not receive paychecks until all paperwork has been submitted and processed.
- Keep track of your remaining balance (through your My.Whittier account) and notify your supervisor once you are near exhausting your funds.
- Students may not work more than 18 hours per week, for a total of 36 hours per pay period.This is year-round.
- Students must always be registered as full-time (12 credits) undergraduate students to participate in the Student Employment Program
- Students may hold up to two (2) student employment jobs at once
- Timesheets are due online on a biweekly basis, every other Monday (see web time entry guide), unless noted otherwise on the payroll schedule. Submitting timesheet(s) on the designated due date each pay period by 12 p.m. (see payroll schedule). Student Payroll sends out an email at the end of each pay period to the entire student body reminding student workers to submit their timesheets. No exceptions will be made for late timesheets.
- Hours should be entered on the timesheet each day they are worked. Do not wait until the last minute to enter and submit hours. If you encounter any problems accessing your timesheet, contact the Payroll Office at 562.464.4546 or Human Resources Office at 562.907.4208 for assistance. Do not wait until timesheets are due.
- Paychecks will be available the Friday following the end of the pay period (see payroll schedule). No paycheck will be available prior to the pay date. Student Payroll Direct Deposit is available. Direct Deposit enrollment forms can be found under the Payroll Resources channel on your My.Whittier account or by contacting the Payroll Office. Paychecks will be mailed to the student's permanent home address. Paychecks are not automatically deposited into student tuition accounts. If you wish to apply your paycheck towards your tuition, contact the Business Office to complete the necessary paperwork.
- Log on to your My.Whittier account
- Click on For Students
- Navigate to Student Self-Service and click on Student Employment Web Time Entry
- Navigate to My Activities and click on Enter Time
- Select the position you wish to enter time for and click on Start Timesheet
- To enter your hours worked, click on the day on the calendar that you would like to enter hours for. To enter regular hours worked, select Fall/Spring Pay – Student under Earn Code and enter the hours of the start and end of your shift. Worked hours should be entered using HH:MM format (e.g., 08:15 AM-10:30 AM). Note: Enter your hours worked in 15 minute intervals by typing in the time as show below.
- If you worked a second shift, click on Add Earn Code
- To report sick time, select CA Sick Pay under Earn Code and enter the hours that you are scheduled to work
- To save the hours entered, click Save
- To submit your hours worked, click on Preview. In the Preview window, you may review your hours entered and insert a comment. To submit your hours, click Submit.