Associate Professor of Chinese
Department of Modern Languages
562.907.4200, ext. 4384
B.A. National Chengchi University
M.A., University of Southern California
PhD. University of Southern California
Professor Horng-Yi Lee's teaching interests are Chinese language, beginning to advanced; business Chinese; Chinese literature, classical and modern; as well as films and literature.
Lee has taught as an adjunct lecturer here at Whittier College since 2003. Before coming to Whittier, she taught at Pomona College; California State University, Los Angeles; Pasadena City College, as well as at the University of Southern California.
- Lee, Horng-Yi. (2020). Linguistic Politeness in the Chinese Language and Culture. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 10(1), pp. 1-9.
- Lee, Horng-Yi. (2014). Inquiry-Based Teaching in Second and Foreign Language Pedagogy. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 5(6), pp. 1236-1244.
- Lee, Horng-Yi. (2014). 现代汉语词缀的发展：质变与量变 (Qualitative and Quantitative Changes in Modern Chinese Affixes). Journal of Chinese Language Teachers Association, 49 (2), pp. 75-99.
- Lee, Horng-Yi. (2013). 扩展视野和个人化的大学教育(Broadening Vision and the Individualized College Education in the US). The Educator, April, pp. 72-76.
- Lee, Horng-Yi. (2002). Chinese 1-2-3: A Textbook for Elementary Mandarin Chinese. Los Angeles: Evergreen Publishing. 446 pp. ISBN: 0-939083-92-2
- Lee, Horng-Yi. (2003). Chinese 1-2-3: Workbook. Los Angeles: Evergreen. 175 pp. ISBN: 1-932259-05-8