Veteran's Benefits


Whittier College is honored to provide our nation's Veterans with an education that leverages their military training and experience to prepare them for fulfilling careers in the civilian workplace.

Veterans applying to Whittier College may receive academic credit for military training and experience.

Students who wish to use VA benefits to pay their educational expenses at Whittier College should contact the Office of the Registrar.

Students interested in admission preparation, financial aid, and GI Bill® benefits can contact the Veteran Resource Center

General Information

The Office of the Registrar certifies enrollment for students who receive benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Students who have been admitted to Whittier College and are interested in using their VA benefits to help cover educational expenses should contact the School Certifying Official (SCO) in the Office of the Registrar.

The SCO provides general assistance with issues related to benefits, maintains student benefit records, and serves as the point of contact with the VA Educational Liaison Representative (ELR) and Regional Office.

Covered Programs

The following VA benefit programs are covered at Whittier College:

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® for Active Duty (MGIB)
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab
  • Chapter 32 Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
  • Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance Program
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® for Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

Applying for Benefits

Students must apply for benefits directly through the VA using the VA Online Application (VONAPP). Once the VONAPP has been processed, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to the benefit recipient. Any questions regarding the application process should be addressed directly with the VA. Students should retain copies of their VONAPP and Certificate of Eligibility.

Students who are enrolling at Whittier College for the first time should follow the steps below:

  1. Apply for admission to Whittier College and be admitted.
  2. Apply for benefits. Be sure to keep a copy of your VONAPP and Certificate of Eligibility.
  3. Provide copies of your VONAPP, Certificate of Eligibility, and a valid photo I.D. to the SCO in the Office of the Registrar. Copies may be faxed, emailed (PDF only), mailed, or hand-delivered. Illegible copies will not be accepted. New students who have used their benefits at a previous institution must also submit a VA Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA 22-1995 or 22-5495).
  4. Register for classes and accept any financial aid awards that you have opted to receive.
  5. Submit a Certification Request for VA Benefits to the Registrar once you have registered for classes. 

Once the steps above have been completed, the SCO will certify your enrollment to the VA. Certifications are submitted electronically immediately following the end of the Add/Drop period of each compulsory term for which you maintain continuous enrollment.

Students who have maintained continuous enrollment will have their enrollment certifications submitted electronically immediately following the end of the Add/Drop period of each compulsory term. It is important to submit the Certification Request for VA Benefits as soon as the term schedule is finalized to avoid a delay in receiving benefits. The certification of classes is not automatic and must be completed each term.

Students who have been readmitted after a period of absence equaling one semester or more must follow the steps indicated for new students.

Additional Programs & Resources

Whittier College participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon). This program is designed to provide additional financial assistance in covering educational expenses that exceed the maximum in-state capacity.

If you are receiving Chapter 33 benefits with a 100% eligibility rate, you may be eligible to participate in Yellow Ribbon. Interested students should contact the Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible. Enrollment in Yellow Ribbon is limited.

Whittier College does not participate in or certify enrollment for benefit programs provided through the Department of Defense (DoD), including Tuition Assistance.

Enrollment certifications are submitted electronically immediately following the end of the Add/Drop period of each compulsory term of continuous enrollment. Students who wish to be certified for a non-compulsory term (i.e. Jan Term or Summer Session) should contact the SCO.

Making Schedule Changes

Students receiving benefits must finalize their class schedule by the end of the Add/Drop period. Changes made after this deadline will not be included in the enrollment certification and may result in delayed processing and/or over or underpayment of benefits.  Students are responsible for any refunds due to the VA (result of overpayment).

Students who change their schedule after the Add/Drop period must contact the SCO immediately so that their enrollment certification may be amended.

Receiving Payments

Students should allow 4 to 6 weeks for the VA to process the enrollment certification and issue benefit payments. All payments will be issued directly to the student at the mailing address on file with the VA, with exception to the tuition and fee payments for students receiving Chapter 33 benefits. Chapter 33 tuition and fee payments will be issued directly to the Whittier College Business Office.

Questions about Veteran Benefits

How may I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?

Students may contact the Veterans Affairs Education Call Center at 888.442.4551, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time. 

How do I know how much I will receive in benefits?

Benefit payments are determined by a number of factors including your benefits program and eligibility percentage, type and length of service, enrollment and registration, tuition and fees, and additional forms of financial aid. For assistance in estimating how much you may receive in benefit payments, please refer to the Comparison Tool/Payment Rates resource. Additional questions may be directed to the VA Education Call Center.

How will my financial aid affect my benefits?

With the exception of loans and funds provided under 401(b) of the Higher Education Act, all waivers, scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial aid provided directly to the institution and specifically for the purpose of off-setting the expense of tuition and fees will be deducted from the total amount of tuition and fees reported to the VA.

Can my enrollment certification be submitted early?

Whittier College may submit your enrollment certification to the VA up to 30 days early provided that you have submitted the required documentation and finalized your class schedule, tuition and fees, and financial aid. All tuition, fees, and aid must be applied to your student account before the certification may be submitted. Students who wish to request early certification should contact the SCO.

I am eligible for additional benefits through my military branch. Will you submit an enrollment certification for me?

No. Whittier College does not participate in or certify enrollment on behalf of benefit programs offered outside of the VA or for programs other than those listed above in 'Covered Programs'.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).