Message from Deanna Merino-Contino, Interim Vice President and Dean of Students
The Division of Student Life and COVID-19 Compliance Task Force would like to remind you of our COVID-19 protocols. These protocols ensure the health and safety of our Whittier College community.
Daily Health Screening & Self-Report
- Before arriving on or moving about campus, everyone is required to complete a daily COVID-19 Health Screening using the appropriate online screening form.
- All students—residential and commuter—must self-report a diagnosis of COVID-19 using the online form. This is also the case for all employees.
- Please continue to self-report any off-campus COVID-19 diagnosis while we are on remote instruction.
- If you are feeling ill, please do not come to campus.
Reminders are sent daily via text with links to the various forms. If you are not receiving these texts please update your information immediately.
Communication from Health Center, Residential Life, and Dean of Students
- If you tested on campus, reported that you have COVID-19, and/or reported that you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms on the health screening form, a member of the Student Life team will be reaching out to you.
- Please make sure to check your @poets.whittier.edu email regularly and answer your phone. Communication during this time is key during this time to getting you the support you need.
Please comply with mandatory testing dates as they are communicated with students. This helps in slowing the spread of COVID-19. More information will be provided soon online.
Face masks remain mandatory indoors on campus regardless of vaccination status. Please refrain from eating in classrooms or shared office spaces. Exceptions are when students are alone in their residence hall rooms. Per Los Angeles County protocol we are strongly recommending students wear a medical-grade mask, KN95, KN94, or N95 respirator.
- Students released from isolation or quarantine are required to wear an upgraded mask indoors and outdoors for a full 10 days from the beginning of their isolation or quarantine period. If you need a medical-grade mask you can obtain one at the Health and Wellness Center.
Personal Hygiene, Cleaning & Disinfection
Observe basic hygiene: wash hands properly and frequently; cover coughs and sneezes; refrain from touching eyes, nose, and mouth; disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects at least once daily; and refrain from sharing objects and materials to the extent practical.
While capacity limits have been lifted and physical distancing of six feet is no longer required, efforts to reduce crowding remain encouraged. Unvaccinated students and employees are recommended to maintain six feet from others if conditions allow it.
Thank you for your cooperation in keeping our Whittier College community healthy and safe. We will be sending more communication in the coming days, as well as hosting a series of community chats and workshops to answer questions you may have and support you through this. All student life offices and support services are operational and here to support you remotely.
The Dean of Students Team members can be reached for appointments and will have open student hours should you have any questions and/or need support.