Whittier College is offering free saliva-based COVID-19 PCR test kits for students, employees, and contracted workers through a Shield T3 PCR Test Kit Vending Machine.
When to use the PCR Test Kit Vending Machine:
- If you are experiencing COVID-related symptoms
- If you have been exposed to a positive case
- If you are required to test weekly because you have received a COVID vaccination exemption or are overdue for your booster
- PRC testing is not recommended for confirmed COVID cases seeking to end isolation before Day 10. Please see below.
Where is the PCR Test Kit Vending Machine?
- The Shield T3 PCR Test Kit Vending Machine and Dropbox are located on the ground floor of the Wardman Library building at the North Lawn entrance. (See map.)
- The entrance has 24-hour badge access to dispense a PCR test kit.
How long do I have to take the test?
- Do not test in the building. Take the kit to a safe location where you can sanitize your hands and follow the collection instructions properly.
- Return your sample as soon as possible and no later than 48 hours from receiving your PCR test kit.
- Your sample must be returned to the dropbox by 1:30 pm Monday through Friday.
- There is no weekend pick-up. Do not collect or return your sample after 1:30 pm Fridays through 7:00 a.m. Mondays.
- Results will be available the day after drop off. You will receive a text and a link to your results.
- Watch THIS VIDEO for detailed instructions on how to use the machine, receive, and register your test.
- Vending Machine Instructions
- IMPORTANT – Preparation for saliva-based PCR testing:
- Do not eat, drink, smoke, gargle, chew gum, or wear lipstick or lip products at least one hour before the test collection.
- Hydrate up to one hour before testing in order to provide a good sample.
- Do not forcefully spit, cough, or project into the vial.
- Sanitize hands before and after testing.
Testing to end COVID-19 Isolation
- Individuals with a confirmed case of COVID-19 who are testing to end isolation on Day 5 through Day 10 should not use the Shield T3 PCR Vending Machine. Antigen tests are recommended instead.
- Students should contact the Student Health & Wellness Center by calling 562.464.4548.