1098-T Tax Credits

No Whittier College employee may give tax advice regarding these credits. If you are unsure about your eligibility, please consult with a qualified tax preparer.

Whittier College is required to mail 1098-T form to all students enrolled in Spring, Summer or Fall terms during a given calendar year, by January 31 of the following year. This form will be mailed to the student's permanent address on file.  You can access this form online for reprinting.

Instructions for Current Whittier College Students

  1. Log into my.whittier.edu account
  2. Click the For Students tab
  3. In the Self-Service Box, expand the Self Service Links
  4. Click on Students folder
  5. Click on Student Account folder
  6. Select Tax Notification and select the desired year

Instructions for Poet Proxy Users

  1. If your student has granted you access to view their Tax Information, log into your Poet Proxy account
  2. From the Proxy Access home page, click on your student's name link
  3. Under Proxy Authorizations List at the bottom of the page, click the Tax Notifications link
  4. Enter in Tax Year and click submit button

Instructions for former Whittier College students

You can access your 1098-T online through Heartland ECSI. Questions about accessing the form should be directed to Heartland ECSI at 866.428.1098.

You will need the following information

  1. School Code: 9E
  2. Account Number: Your Social Security Number (without dashes or spaces)
  3. PIN/Password: Assigned by ECSI. Click here to retrieve your log in credentials.

On the 1098-T, Whittier College reports the name, Social Security Number and address of the student, and indicates whether the student was a graduate student or at least half-time during the calendar year.  Institutions are required to report either the payments received for qualified charges or the amounts billed for qualified charges. Whittier College does not identify payments on your student account with specific charges, therefore, Whittier College reports amounts billed.

Beginning in tax year 2003, education institutions must also report amounts to the IRS pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not.  If you qualify for an education credit, you should use your personal records and student account statements to determine the amounts that you actually paid toward the charges reported on the 1098-T. Whittier College is required to report all qualified transactions in the actual calendar year during which they were posted to your account, regardless of when you pay them.