Institutional Loan (Perkins & Whittier College)
First-time Institutional Loan borrowers are required to:
- Accept the loan offer via their Financial Aid Award Letter or online through My.Whittier Financial Aid Awards portal.
- Agree to the Financial Aid Terms and Conditions.
- Complete Student Loan Entrance Counseling (this is in addition to similar counseling required for Direct loans).
- If the borrower accepts a Federal Carl Perkins Loan, they will need to sign the Federal Perkins Master Promissory Note (MPN). The Perkins MPN will, in most cases, cover this and all future Perkins loan disbursements while the borrower is enrolled at Whittier College. This note does not reflect the amount awarded. The borrower will accept each year's award amount through My.Whittier's Financial Aid Awards portal.
- If the borrower accepted a Whittier Student Loan, they will need to sign the Whittier Student Loan Promissory Note. This promissory note will, in most cases, cover the current Financial Aid award year only. For any future offers, a new promissory note will need to be completed for that award year.
Borrowers will be contacted via their poet.whittier.edu email account with instructions by Heartland ECSI (our Loan Servicer) once their documents are ready to be completed online. Loan(s) cannot be disbursed until all electronic documents are accurately completed. Timely completion of this processes will ensure disbursement on the school designated disbursement date.
As part of the online process, Heartland ECSI will need to validate the borrower's identity. To validate their identity, borrowers will need to enter their Social Security Number, Last Name, First Name, and Date of Birth. View instructions for the identity validation process here or read the FAQ's about this new process.
IMPORTANT: If Heartland ECSI is not able to validate the borrower's identity, the borrower will not be able to complete the Promissory Note process online or electronically sign the Promissory Note. Borrowers will need to print, fully complete, and deliver the paper forms to Whittier College Business Office. Borrowers who are able to complete the process online, will not need to print or deliver the paper forms as they will be automatically delivered to Whittier College Business Office.
If you have further questions about this process, contact Esther Gagner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 562-907-4871.