What is a Work Award and how do I get one?

Work Awards are issued by the office of Financial Aid as part of a student’s aid package. Students’ eligibility to receive a work award is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Form. Work Awards are not loans that must be paid back, but are monies a student is allowed to work and earn. Any monies not worked off and earned by the end of awarded academic year are forfeited. Whittier College offers a Federal Work Award and a Whittier Work Award.

What is Exception Funding?

Exception Funding is Whittier College’s extra mile effort to provide students with the opportunity to work while attending classes full time. Exception funding is an alternative method for obtaining a work-study job on campus for students who did not receive a Financial Aid Work Award, or for students who demonstrate a specific skill set. Departments and Faculty members are awarded small exception funding budgets to hire qualified students. Students interested in exception funding should apply directly with the department of interest. Students funded through exception funding are held to the same regulations, policies and standards set by Federal Work-Study Guidelines and Whittier College.

How do I find a work-study job?

To find a work-study job, students are encouraged to attend the Work-Study Job Fair sponsored by the Career Planning & Internships Office held at the start of the fall semester. Students may also contact the Human Resources Department for hiring departments or inquire directly with a faculty member or department.

What forms are needed?

Students hired for the first time will submit a SEAR (Student Employment Action Request) Form, Form I-9 and Form W-4 to Human Resources prior to beginning work. Students are responsible for completing the form I-9 and W-4, while SEAR Forms are completed by the hiring supervisor. As required by Federal Law, all newly hired students must provide documentation showing identity and authorization to work in the United States. All documents must be original, no photocopies are accepted. Returning students will submit a SEAR form to Human Resources at the beginning of each academic year or with each new job.

Can I have more than one work-study job?

Yes, students may have more than one work-study job. There is no limit to the number of jobs a student may have. There is a limit to the number of hours a student may work per week for all jobs combined. Students may also not exceed the awarded work award or exception funding amount.

How many hours can I work a week?

Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week, 40 hours per pay period.

What is the pay rate for a work-study job?

Pay rates for student positions vary between $9.00-$11.00 per hour depending on the skill level of the job and requirements and qualifications.

How and when do I get paid?

Students are responsible for accessing their timesheets online via my.whittier and submitting their hours for each pay period (see payroll schedule under Forms) by the designated due date. Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis (every other Friday) in the form of a live check. Direct Deposit is not available to student employees. Student payroll checks should be picked up from the Business Office. Students who wish to use work-study earnings towards tuition must sign their paycheck over to the Business Office.

When are timesheets due?

Timesheets are due online via my.whittier on a bi-weekly basis (every other Monday) by 12:00 pm. Email reminders are sent prior to timesheet deadlines. No exceptions will be made for late timesheets. If a student misses the submission deadline, he/she should contact his/her supervisor for assistance.

What is expected of a student worker?

Student workers must adhere to all Federal Work-Study and Whittier College Work-Study guidelines while participating in the work-study program. Although work place policies and procedures may differ between individual departments, below are policies all student employees are expected to follow:

  • Be enrolled full-time (12 credits) during the academic year. Students muse cease working immediately following a withdrawal, leave of absence or graduating from the college or dropping below full-time status.
  • Earn no more than awarded Work Award or Exception Funding amount.
  • Report hours accurately each day they are worked.
  • Not work during class time.
  • Not work more than 20 hours per week or 40 hours per pay period.
  • Dress appropriately for your work location.
  • Report to work on time.
  • Take work-study positions seriously.
  • Students will be terminated immediately if found to have participated in gross misconduct such as but not limited to: breach of confidentiality, theft, fraud, falsifying hours on a timesheet, failing to perform essential duties of the job (i.e. locking up study areas, appropriately checking out equipment to students, etc.), violence and/or harassment of another employee and will be reported to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary action.

Who do I contact with work study questions?

All work-study questions should be directed to Stephanie Hernandez in the office of Human Resources. Human Resources can be reached at 562.907.4208 or at shernan4@whittier.edu or whittierhr@whittier.edu. Human Resources is located in the lower level of Mendenhall, open Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.