For academic year and/or semester programs, Whittier College students are charged the equivalent of Whittier tuition for the term(s) abroad, which covers program tuition, health insurance, and program specific administrative fees. A charge for health insurance will also appear on the student bill, unless paperwork is filed with the Business Office to waive the charge.

Study abroad participants may use the standard Business Office payment plan as if still on campus to pay tuition and the administrative fee.

Participants are responsible for paying room and board (if applicable) directly to the program provider.

Financial Aid

Students approved for academic year and/or semester programs may apply federal and state loans, along with any outside scholarships or grants they might receive to the bills generated by the Business Office.

However, Whittier merit scholarships and/or grants will be distributed in the following manner:

  • Your GPA at the end of the semester you apply is multiplied by 15 and then converted to a percentage.
  • For example, if you have a 3.0 GPA at the end of the application semester, you would be eligible to receive up to 45% of your normal Whittier aid for use on your abroad program.

If a Whittier College student pursues study abroad independent of the Office of International Programs, the student will not be able to apply any of his/her Whittier merit/grant aid. The independent applicant should inquire with the program provider regarding the use of federal and/or state aid.

Study abroad applicants should apply for financial aid in the regular manner, but should also notify Financial Aid and the Business Offices of their intentions to study abroad.

Furthermore, students may contact Financial Aid to inquire about any additional loans that may be available. It is imperative that students take care of any financial aid paperwork, including the signing of loans, before departure.

*Please be aware that financial aid policies related to study abroad are subject to change.