POET Getaway 2015 (August 27-29)
Want to jumpstart your college career and develop leadership skills?
Enjoy outdoor adventures?
Whittier's Pre-Orientation Experience and Transition (Poet) Getaway is a first step in helping first-year and transfer students immerse themselves in college life and develop a sense of community.
Through a unique collaboration with outdoor adventure company ARC, students enjoy a three-day and two-night getaway at Pyramid Lake in Gorman, CA, where they embark on challenging physical initiatives, sports programming, team-building exercises, campfire activities, and environmental education.
POET Getaway 2015 will take place August 27-29. To learn more, contact the LEAP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 562.907.4986.
- Provide opportunities for relationship building among first year, transfer, international, and upper classmen students as well as LEAP staff members
- Provide activities that challenge students to take risks and be open to new experiences (i.e. team building activities, camping, hiking, rock climbing, reflection, and strategic planning for an intentional College experience)
- May 7: POET Getaway 2015 registration opens (closes July 15)
- August 3: Final deadline for participants to submit health forms and fees
- August 26: POET Getaway participants move in to campus residence halls (10 a.m. - 3 p.m.)
- August 27-29: POET Getaway 2015
- August 30: New Student Orientation begins
How to Register
Registration for POET Getaway 2015 opens May 7. Last day to register is July 15. To reserve your spot, contact LEAP at email@example.com or 562.907.4986.
Cancellation Policy. Participants who cancel their trip by July 1 will have the charge credited. After July 1, charges will be credited only if vacated spots are filled by those on a waiting list. No refunds, credits, or cancelations after August 3.
- Check out our FAQs page, which provides answers to the most common questions incoming students and families have about the POET Getaway.
- Registered for the POET Getaway and wondering what to bring for the trip? Find a checklist, safety tips, and more on this Pre-Trip Information page.
"I found out about the POET Getaway from a pamphlet that came with my acceptance letter in December. The program absolutely helped out with my first year [at Whittier]. It gave me a chance to bond with some really terrific people whom I might not have met or known to the extent that I do now. I would absolutely recommend the program. In addition to being a great opportunity for friendship-building, it was also incredibly fun. (And moving in early was not such a bad thing, either!) I loved the camping, biking, hiking, swimming, beaching, and everything in between. - Lizzie Lavín '16
"Attending the program helped me acclimate to the college environment. I knew people around campus before I started classes and that was a comforting feeling. I really enjoyed myself and I had a great time getting to know new people." - Nicole Naghash '16
"I highly recommend going to the POET Getaway if you can. I went my freshman year and it was really fun and I made some great friends." - Irene Keogh '14
>>Return to Whittier College's Orientation site.