POET Getaway 2015 (September 3-5)
Want to jumpstart your college career and develop leadership skills?
Enjoy outdoor adventures?
Whittier's Pre-Orientation Experience and Transition (POET) Getaway is a first step in helping first-year and transfer students immerse themselves in college life and develop a sense of community.
Through a unique collaboration with outdoor adventure company ARC, students enjoy a three-day and two-night getaway at Pyramid Lake in Gorman, CA, where they embark on challenging physical initiatives, sports programming, team-building exercises, campfire activities, and environmental education.
POET Getaway 2015 will take place September 3-5. To learn more, contact the LEAP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 562.907.4986.
- Provide opportunities for relationship building among first-year, transfer, international, and upper classmen students as well as LEAP staff members
- Provide activities that challenge students to take risks and be open to new experiences (i.e. team building activities, camping, hiking, rock climbing, reflection, and strategic planning for an intentional College experience)
- May 11: POET Getaway 2015 registration opens (closes July 15)
- August 3: Final deadline for participants to submit health forms and fees. Visit Student Health & Wellness for more information.
- September 2: POET Getaway participants move in to campus residence halls (10 a.m. - 3 p.m.). Stop by the LEAP Office in the Campus Center to get your key.
- September 3-5: POET Getaway 2015
- September 6: New Student Orientation begins
How to Register
Click the button below to register for the POET Getaway. Note: You will need to log into OrgSync using the username and password provided for myWhittier.
Last day to register is July 15. No refunds, credits, or cancelations after August 1.
If you have questions, contact the Leadership Experience & Programs Office at email@example.com or 562.907.4986.
- Check out our FAQs page, which provides answers to the most common questions incoming students and families have about the POET Getaway.
- Registered for the POET Getaway and wondering what to bring for the trip? Find a checklist, safety tips, and more on this Pre-Trip Information page.
"[POET Get-A-Way] is an amazing, fun and educational experience that lets new students bond, forming lasting friendships and discover themselves as well as to learn leadership skills and survival. The getaway also allowed you to challenge yourself and do things you never thought you could do, while providing good learning opportunities and fun activities."- Ryan Tessman '18
"I would recommend the POET Get-A-Way to others because it was the best experience. Meeting new people and making long time friendships, learning new life skills, and having an amazing time right before school starts up." - Jessica Robles '18
"I found out about the POET Getaway from a pamphlet that came with my acceptance letter in December. The program absolutely helped out with my first year [at Whittier]. It gave me a chance to bond with some really terrific people whom I might not have met or known to the extent that I do now. I would absolutely recommend the program. In addition to being a great opportunity for friendship-building, it was also incredibly fun. (And moving in early was not such a bad thing, either!) I loved the camping, biking, hiking, swimming, beaching, and everything in between. - Lizzie Lavín '16
"Attending the program helped me acclimate to the college environment. I knew people around campus before I started classes and that was a comforting feeling. I really enjoyed myself and I had a great time getting to know new people." - Nicole Naghash '16
>>Return to Whittier College's Orientation site.