Tips for Choosing a Major
On 15 May, 2013 By admin 0 Comments
- Take the Focus 2 self-assessment to determine your interests, skills, and values
- Research and explore various majors:
- Examine the full list of possible majors
- Talk to career counselors
- Talk to professors
- Talk to upperclassmen
- Talk to alumni and
- Conduct a career informational interview (hyperlink to career research page)
- Take an introductory class in the major
Remember: Choosing a major does not mean you are choosing a career. Choose a major in which you are interested and can excel academically.
- What can I do with this major?
- O*NET allows you to search for occupations based on your skills, abilities, interests, and knowledge. You may also browse different occupations based on work context, work activities, and work values.
- California Reality Check helps you explore how much money you will need to earn in order to live independently after graduation and which occupations will help you reach that goal.