Whittier College offers talent scholarships, valued from $1,000 to $12,000, to entering freshmen and incoming students who demonstrate superior promise in music, art, and theatre. A student does not have to major or minor in these subjects, thereby allowing him or her the opportunity to pursue a liberal arts education while simultaneously continuing their participation in the arts.
Talent Scholarships in Music
Talent Scholarships in Music are awarded to students by the Music Department and are renewable throughout a student’s four years of study, provided the recipient:
- Maintains a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0
- Enrolls in MUS 70 (Introduction to Music Theory and Musicianship) during his/her freshman year
- Utilizes his/her award-winning talent through active participation in at least one of the College’s ensembles each semester
To apply for a Talent Scholarship, interested freshman and incoming students must:
- Complete a Student Information Form
- Submit two instructor recommendations; at least one of these must be completed by a high school music teacher or private instructor
- Compose a one-to-two page essay expressing the importance of music in his/her life presently and in the future.
- Schedule and take part in an audition (either live or recorded)
- Prepare audition material that consists of two contrasting pieces, preferably one of which will be from the standard classical repertoire in his/her instrument or voice.
Please download the appropriate Music Talent Scholarship Application Packet for copies of the application materials listed above, submission deadlines, and more information.
2013-2014 Music Talent Scholarship Application Packet (for incoming freshmen)
2013-2014 Music Talent Scholarship Application Packet (for transfer students)
Please note that students may also apply for talent scholarships from the Art and Theatre Departments, but if offered multiple talent scholarships, the student can only accept an award from one department and must decline all other offers.